FIX: Microsoft Disables Internet Explorer Web Browser
On February 14th, 2023 Microsoft released an update to Edge that redirects all application requests from Internet Explorer to open in Edge. If you find yourself in a position where this update has been installed and you have another application that can only be run in IE use the below steps to rollback the update and undo the redirection.
CAUTION: This document includes instructions for modifying the registry on your computer. Modifying the registry improperly can result in Windows becoming corrupted. You should only attempt these directions if you have your data backed up and are willing to risk creating additional problems. You should also back up the Windows registry before attempting any changes. Bacheler Technologies is not liable if you choose to attempt the fix described below.
1. Go to https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=edge-stable-109
2. Download 18.104.22.168.78
3. Double-click the .cab and copy the msi to c:\temp
4. Close all edge exe instances in task manager.
5. Open admin command prompt by going to search and typing cmd. Right click on command prompt and choose open as Administrator.
6. Type cd c:\temp and press enter.
7. Paste the following into your command prompt:
msiexec /I MicrosoftEdgeEnterpriseX64.msi /qn ALLOWDOWNGRADE=1
8. Browse to c:\program files (x86)\microsoft\edgeupdate using File Explorer.
9. Rename microsoftedgeupdate.exe to 123microsoftedgeupdate.exe.
10. Open the registry editor by going to Start/Run and typing regedit and press enter.
11. Browse to HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Edge\IEToEdge for each user affected.
12. Delete all values under this key.
13. Reboot the machine and IE should open properly